Friday 9 March 2012

Cat Fights and Cakes

This morning at 6.45am I woke up and heard a strange sound coming from outside... It sounded like an angry cat, and I tried to ignore it at first but it was unrelenting. Eventually I opened my curtain and peered bleary-eyed out of the window, to see a ginger cat and a black cat down below. They were squaring up to each other in the snow, eye to eye. Every so often they would pounce at each other snarling, yowling and scratching in a blur of fur!! I opened the window and tried to shoo them, but they weren't interested in anything but their fight. I gave up and got up for my shower instead. When Stef and I went over to Main Chalet at 7.30am to set up breakfast, the cats were gone, but there was black fur all over the snow at the scene of the crime. Crazy cats.

With breakfast done, we received our Guest Services tasks for the day at morning meeting and so began our first day on the rota. I tidied the T-Bar, mopped all the floors in both Spycher and Main chalet, as well as cleaning some of the windows and folding some laundry. After lunch, Eve and I loaded all the wheelie bins into the back of the van and went with Christoph to the recycling centre in Adelboden town. It was kind of fun tipping the different types of rubbish into the huge containers, and we learned some new Swiss-German words...*ahem* Rot=Red, Spraydosen=Aerosol cans, Electroschott-Scrap metal, Kleider und schuche-Clothes and shoes!
As a special treat later on, we had an Afternoon Tea together with the World Centre team taking a break from their meeting. There was tea and two types of cake; chocolate with a wild berry filling and chocolatey frosting, and a vanilla sponge with strawberry and cream filling. Mmmmmmmmmmmm! They were delicious! I might have had a slice of both... ;) They were baked by Jenny, and beautifully decorated by Putri and Sammie. Well done girls!
The team went back to their meeting leaving us Vollies to clear up, and then, as we had finished all our housework tasks for the day, a few of us decided to take on another of the special staff challenges: 'Climb around a table'. The aim is to start on top of the table, climb all the way under and up again from the other side, without touching the floor. Easier said than done! Always eager to meet a challenge, I'm proud to say I managed the feat first time! OH YEAH! Putri took a video as we need to show proof to a long-term staff member to get it signed off. As soon as she puts it online, I will add the video to this post so you can all enjoy a good laugh at me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment