Sunday 1 April 2012

Wake Up and Smell the Tortillas

I've been busy, busy, busy working the last few days.

On Friday, Carly, Stef and I deep cleaned the cabinet in the dining room. We washed every single dish, glass and item of cutlery and took an inventory. My main job involved drying and counting!
That evening I had agreed to cook dinner on my own as part of my staff challenge. Thankfully it was only staff in, so I didn't have to cook for the masses. I'd decided to make chicken fajitas, but it was going to be a tougher challenge than usual as we don't have any tortillas or salsa in the storeroom, which meant I had to make my own from scratch. The salsa wasn't too intimidating, but I've certainly never made tortillas before! The recipe was easy enough I have to say, the hardest part was rolling them out to the right size and thickness. I ended up having to make two batches because I wasn't able to get enough tortillas out of my first batch of dough. With there being a lot of different elements to chicken fajitas, and many things to prepare, it did take me a long time as I was on my own. I began cooking at about 3pm and dinner was finally ready at 7! It was worth all the effort though, as they seemed popular with my diners - and I thought they tasted pretty great too!


Yesterday morning I wrote the staff blog for the Our Chalet website; you can read it here. Then I had a fabulous time deep cleaning the kitchen with Karin and Putri. In the evening Stef and I did a bit more Single Ladies practice - it's coming together now, we know about 2/3 of the routine.

Today all the vollies helped to scrub the dining room floor. With all 6 of us there, we did it in record time and now it looks lovely and clean. Afternoon arrived, along with a new group of Danish Girl Scouts who will be staying here for most of the week. Eve and I were the lucky ones who got to give them the presentation of the centre's history and then a tour of the buildings. This was our first time giving the tour so we were a little nervous, but it went very well. The Danish girls seem a lovely group.

No comments:

Post a Comment